[NAFEX] Email Thread vs. Forum: Fragmentation of group+

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 15:02:08 EDT 2011

Group:

Although there are benefits (as discussed) to a forum, the benefit of an email thread (as some have stated and I very much agree with) is that EVERYONE ends up glancing at ALL topics, those they are interested in and are not interested (initially) in.

If the topics were posted in a forum, instead of a mail thread, obviously less responses to each of our topics of interest will result, we will not end-up being introduced to or participating in peripheral topics that are out-side of our individual interests, and the group will be fragmented into micro communities: the stone fruits people; the persimmon/paw paw/and or tree nuts people; the warmer climate vs temperate people; etc.

I've gotten to know more people this way that I would not have otherwise likely ended up corresponding with, as a result of the thread solution.

One benefit though is, if I'm not mistaken, it would be easier to search for old topics of interest and old topics will be, continually, re-visited where the entire progression of responses and input will be contained.

I'm ok with either, but if I had to pick one, I'd say keep the group completely contiguous and remain as a thread community.

Thanks,
Steve - NJ (6b/7a)