[NAFEX] Treasure of the Sierra Foothills: Heritage Fruit and Nut Trees Discovered and Preserved

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at opusnet.com
Sat Apr 30 21:03:02 EDT 2011

To the list,

So good to hear of preservation in contrast to the reminder from
David Maxwell of NAFEX of the loss of Fred Jansen's collection.

Late last summer there was concern that historic fruit and berries in
the Pavlovsk station in Russia might be destroyed to build expensive
homes. A report in February from the Global Crop Diversity Trust said
that the trust is still fighting plans to bulldoze the collection.

The trust also reported the arrival of seeds for rare lima beans,
blight-resistant cantaloupe, and progenitors of antioxidant-rich red
tomatoes from Peru and the Galapagos Islands to be stored at Norway's
Svalbard underground frozen seed vault.

On the minus side the trust said political unrest in Egypt at the end
of January led to the looting of the Egyptian Desert Gene Bank in
North Sinai, repository for a prized collection of fruit and
medicinal plants. Looters stole equipment and ruined data, although
the seeds were not destroyed.

And a report from Australia said the three of that country's six seed
banks are no longer being maintained.

Betty Mayfield