[NAFEX] Crab vs. Standard apple trees?

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Fri Apr 29 17:16:34 EDT 2011

I have a stupid question (yes, add it to my pile)

What is the Botanical difference between a Crab apple and a 'standard' apple?

Do all young apple trees have those little spikey looking branches?
Does that only happen to seedling trees?
Is there a book or a paper describing these physical traits, if any actually exist?
I've been growing apple seedlings for about 4 years now, with a lot of variation.
Mostly for use as rootstocks and experiments.
This year I planted 9 Jonafree seeds and 9 Hidden Rose seeds just for ha-has.
The other little seedling from last years planting are 'Rte. 2 Crabs' from Farmington, ME
They are really small.

PS   Jonafree appears to take longer to break dormancy than my Braeburb and Wolf River.
Possibly a good tree for late-frost threats, like my z4 place.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr