[NAFEX] Free Prunus rootstock

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Apr 6 11:59:07 EDT 2011

Dear group,

Treeconn holds the propagation rights to The Russian Prunus rootstock VVA-1
Trade Marked as Krymsk-1. It has tested well in US trials. Below is taken
from a European web site, not the producer's site.

Krymsk™ 1 ( VVA-1 cv.) (PAF) (Exclusive to ANFIC)

GENERAL INFORMATION
Pedigree: A hybrid of P. tomentosa x P. cerasifera compatible with peach,
plum and apricot, reported dwarfing
Origin: Krasnodar region of Russia

CHARACTERISTICS:
Vigor: Dwarfing: approx. 50% of standard
Compatibility: Prunus persica, P.armeniaca, and P.domestica
Suckering: Unknown

ADAPTATION TO SOIL OR CLIMATIC CONDITIONS
Cold Tolerant
Drought Tolerant
Waterlogging Tolerant

COMMENTS:
Is looking very good in the trials for peach, plum, nectarine, and
apricots. Is very dwarfing at least 50%. Fruit size is very good better than Lovell
on young trees. Some incompatibilities are reported in Spain with low chill
nectarines. We have never seen any incompatibilities.
The rootstock is adaptable to many soil types including heavy soil. It does
not resist stress well and can have a problem with transplant shock if not
handled well. Requires good irrigation practices or the trees will be very
dwarf. Seems susceptible to Pseudomonas. Good Yield efficiency.

USA: 4-5 years [Date of this writing is unknown] of observations in
California; + Compatability; ++ enhancement of fruit size; Compatible with Elegant
Lady but not Fairtime; + suckers; Apricots have a good balance of renewal
growth; 10% more vigourous than Torinel and other apricot rootstocks; Larger
fruit of Japanese plums compared to Citation; strong point for plums.

HOLLAND: Main strength of Krymsk 1 is with plums; Holland has 14 years
data; 60% of full tree size; increased fruit size; less dwarf with plum than
peach; works great with flowering plums; could be the best apricot rootstock,
check compatibility but it occurs early; a large % of Czech varieties are
okay; susceptible to bacterial canker (although never seen in the field); some
resistence to nematodes.

Treeconn has given me 25 liners of Krymsk-1 for distribution to NAFEX &
INGA members. All I ask is the freight. Please limit the number to 5, or less.
Organization members will receive priority as well as first come first
served. Shipping cost will vary depending on location and package. If I'm swamped
with requests I reserve the right to select recipients based on locations
and length of organization membership.

Send your request off line.    JWLehman at aol.com