[NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry Apple

kim maser farnorthgrapes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:06:18 EDT 2010

Doug we had some trees in the Okanagan if I remember right they are an old
Russian variety. We used to get a some for the Apple fair at the

LOWLAND RASPBERRY before 1870

"Also known as Liveland Raspberry and Livland Raspberry. Lowland Raspberry
is a literal translation of the German name Lievlander Himbeerapfel. A
Russian apple of great hardiness, it was imported from Russia by A. G.
Tuttle of Barraboo, Wisconsin and was recorded before 1870. Medium in size,
it is striped red on a cream background and has tender, white flesh tinged
with red. It is fine-grained and the flavor has a hint of sweetness. Trees
grow upright and compact and are genetically small even when grown on their
own roots. Biennial bearing, the fruit maintains its quality on and off the
tree better than most other apple of the same season. The bark is yellowish
and the dull, coarse leaves are rounded or oval and closely serrated. The
seeds are remarkably small. Lowland Raspberry ripens in July"

 They do ripen early, they have some nice flavors but they don't keep very
well. The description of the variety fits quite well. I pruned an old tree
in the Okanagan for about 10 years and there were several trees in some of
the old orchards.

Cheers

Kim