[NAFEX] Harvesting black currants

Brungardt, Sam (MPCA) Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Wed Jun 30 13:58:48 EDT 2010

Steve, my experience is that black currants do not need their flavor concentrated.  In fact, sometimes I think the flavor would still be strong enough if one were to add some rather mild-tasting fruit juice, such as apple juice.

I do not have experience with including green or partially ripened fruit when making black currant preserves.  However, with Ribes aureum (buffalo currant, e.g. 'Crandall', which have a milder flavor than black currants) mother always included some green berries with the ripe, to enhance the flavor (give it a bit more tartness) and to increase the pectin content of the juice, from which she made jelly.

Blackcurrant has such a strong flavor that I cannot say what effect including green or partially ripened berries would have on the flavor of the jam or jelly.

Also, my experience using all ripe blackcurrants for jam is that they have more than enough pectin.  My advice is to watch very carefully how long you cook it once it reaches the jelling stage.  I've had some batches jell so hard, the jam was rubbery.  I think I shall try adding some apple juice to the black currants and sugar this summer; I suspect there will still be enough pectin that it will jell fine.

I have not tried it, but I think I'll follow this promising recipe from "Great Canadian Berries: Summer Berries" cookbook by Elizabeth Baird (James Lorimer & Co. Ltd., Publishers, Toronto, 2002):

OVERNIGHT BLACK CURRANT JAM

Black currants will toughten and ruin your jam unless the skins are first tenderized.  A preliminary cooking and an overnight soak should solve this problem nicely.

3 cups  (750 ml) black currants
2 cups (500 ml) water
5 cups (1.25 L) granulated sugar

Combine the currants and water in a saucepan, place over high heat and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Cool and our into a bowl.  Cover and let stand overnight.

The next day, pour the cooked blackcurrants into a preserving kettle, stir in the sugar and bring to a rapid boil over high heat.  Continue boiling for 2 minutes, then skim and remove from the heat.  Stir constantly for 5 minutes, then pour into hot, sterilized jars.

[My advice: Leave 1/4 inch headspace when filling the jars, with a damp cloth wipe the rims clean, top with a sterilized flat, seal with a ring, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for 1/2 pints or 15 minutes for pints.]

-- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.