[NAFEX] Harvesting black currants

loneroc loneroc at countryspeed.com
Wed Jun 30 13:09:48 EDT 2010

Howdy all,

My Titania black currant looked mostly ripe so I harvested today.  The plant
was spreading widely so I cut the fruiting branches at ground level and
figured that the new stems coming along will be the better for it.

Here are my questions:

Can/should I leave the fruit on the stem for a few days so all the fruit
ripens?  Or do I need to strip the currants off the stem?  I plan to make
preserves from it. I thought that dehydrating the fruit a bit might
concentrate flavour?

I know that you want immature fruit in the mix for most jellies but currants
are very rich in pectin anyway.  Will including the immature fruit decrease
the quality of the finished product?

Thanks

Steve Herje, Lone Rock WI USDA zone 3/4