[NAFEX] Rooting black currants

Ernest Plutko ernestplutko at wiktel.com
Mon Jun 28 12:58:35 EDT 2010

In late April I cut a total of eleven shoots from Ben Sarek and Ben
Loman black currents.  The shoots were all about a foot long.  I just
stuck the ends into the ground a few inches. All eleven cuttings are
growing vigorously with multiple new shoots coming from each cutting.
Yesterday, I dug one up to inspect and it has good white roots.  I
read that black currants root easily but I am impressed how easily.
It has been raining almost everyday for more than a month and the
ground is too wet. It is too cloudy and the fruit tree leaves are
getting a yellowish cast. Weather is good for cuttings but not for
mature trees.  More rain is predicted.