[NAFEX] black currant productivity

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:09:19 EDT 2010

My small Ben Loman plant bore a crop for the first time this year and the
clusters are so nice and fruit so big I begin to wonder about one thing.  It
seems to me that other varieties I have, including Cascade (I think),
Willoby, Crusador and  Consort, all used to give me larger fruit in tighter
clusters easier to harvest.  Maybe I've not been managing these plants in
the best way by allowing them to get quite large.  I don't tend to pay great
attention to my ribes with all the other demands in my orchard that already
go way beyond rational business thinking.

So I'm interested in input on best managment techniques.

By the way, the Ben Loman fruit is quite good- not so strong that it isn't
good right off the plant.