[NAFEX] Mulberry trees

Kieran and/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 26 12:57:43 EDT 2010

Hélène,
I know that Lucky would say to make cuttings, and about now would be the right time to do it.  You could fill up a pot with cuttings every month from now through the equinox and maybe one pot would be at just the perfect time.  Sure seeds would probably work, but how many seedlings would you have to grow to get one as hardy as the parent?  You might still want to work on the seedling aspect, but not necessarily in your own backyard if space is limited.
    I doubt very seriously that the tree is grafted.  What would they do for a rootstock if the tree itself is unusually hardy?  So if there are suckers, I'd dig one with a bit of root and plant it and be confident of getting a clone of the original.
    And I agree with Jay that if this tree is very unusual in your climate, that you contact some nursery that specializes in hardy fruit.  Ask yourself if it's in a protected microclimate, as you may find you can't grow it at your place.  You might want to dig suckers for other people and see how it survives for them too. We are talking very cheap experimentation here.  Donna