[NAFEX] Early pear ID help?

Kieran and/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Jun 25 12:19:13 EDT 2010

Doug,  Thank you for the info.  One thing I never could find on Tyson was
anything concrete on when it ripened, ie, in relationship to other
varieties.  Now I can look up when Bartlett ripens compared to Early Harvest
(many days difference!) and translate from Corvallis dates to Tenn dates to
look for the real Tyson.  When I last read Tyson descriptions I didn't have
a pear in
hand, but I do now.  The historical drawings show a perfect tip and a thin
long stem, the description you sent reinforces the shape but says the stems
are "more or less fleshy".  I think the stems on my friends pear are too
short, and the tips
too variable, though the open calyx fits and the numerous dots.
Even if these turn out not to be Tyson, they may be related.  So ahead of
the main season I don't expect there to be a lot of varieties.
It's sort of like the Yellow Transparent apple, it shows up everywhere
because it has so little competition that early in the season.  Anyway,
attempts at IDing one variety always help in future attempts, and make it
more likely that should I meet a real Tyson pear, I'll know it at once.
Donna