[NAFEX] making a gift for a friend (fruits for Kentucky)

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jun 21 19:36:20 EDT 2010

Apple? - "MonArk" - probably the best apple in my orchard.  Ripe mid-July; large,
firm, crisp red-over-green apple with white flesh, good for fresh eating or cooking;
keeps well under refrigeration for up to 6-8 wks.   Good disease resistance, to boot.
Fred Wiche, the long-revered Louisville radio personality who had a Saturday morning
gardening show on WHAS always pushed 'Gold Rush' as the best apple for the
Kentuckiana area.
Ed Fackler should weigh in...

Looking at that UofKY list, I'll take some exception with their Asian pear list -
Niitaka is OK, but produces relatively flavorless little pingpong ball-size fruits
unless you are relentless about thinning.  Korean Giant - though many folks sing its
praises, and maybe mine was not true to name - was a dog here - rarely set more than
2 or 3 fruits - and they'd be huge watery tasteless things - not much tastier than a
raw potato; and a fireblight magnet/cripple/fatality, at that.

Lucky