[NAFEX] making a gift for a friend

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:59:51 EDT 2010

Fluffy,
My preference in European-type pears runs toward the hybrids with the
Japanese sand pear(P.serotina?), like Keiffer, which some denigrate as
not edible for humans - but it's what I grew up with - firm, juicy,
gritty, tasty - that's what I expect(and prefer) to be, not some soft,
cloying thing that makes me gag at the softness of its flesh.
And, Keiffer has proven its ability to withstand repeated onslaughts of
fireblight and keep on ticking - as evidenced by all the old Keiffer
trees still in existence on old farmsteads across The South.
So...that may or may not be of any help to you, but...
The Asian pears, Shinko and Chojuro have been great producers here,
superb fruit quality, and no more susceptible to fireblight damage than
any other pear or apple in the orchard.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY