[NAFEX] Ernest's Evans cherries

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Mon Jun 21 12:43:46 EDT 2010

Dan, what you have heard does not agree with what I have heard from a
very well-informed person, which is that Evans does not come true from
seed and that Evans seedlings are not even cold-hardy at Edmonton. See

<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/NAFEX/message-archives/old/msg03690.html>

What is the source of your information, and where are you?

Growing sour cherries on their own roots is apparently not that easy,
and tissue culture is the favoured way. Evidently some nurseries prefer
to graft, perhaps to have the whole process under their own control.

You may be interested in the articles linked at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_Cherry

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada