[NAFEX] Evans cherries

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jun 21 10:10:57 EDT 2010

I've related this on several occasions in the past - I have a Bali
(Evans) cherry, purchased as a small tissue-cultured specimen from St.
Lawrence Nurseries(Potsdam, NY), back in '96 or '97.
It suckers profusely(as Bernie Nickolai told us years ago) - I
have 'Bali/Evans' cherry plants popping up all over the place, some 20-
30 ft away from the original, which has been declining over the past 2-
3 years; don't know for sure if the Easter Big Freeze Disaster of 2007
was the initiating factor, but about half of the original plant is
dead, with bracket fungi now protruding from 'dead' parts.
Evans/Bali is, from everything I've seen written and photos posted, an
excellent cherry for those of you in cold zones, but it's a real 'dog'
for me down here in hot zone 6(southern west-central KY, 70 miles NW of
Nashville TN)- low productivity here, compared to Montmorency, and
almost all fruits are damaged by curculios or some other insect.
Ripens after Montmorency, but I never even bother picking any of the
fruits.
If anyone is interested in paying the shipping costs, I'd be willing to
dig and ship all the suckers I can, if you'll shoot me a reminder email
along about late February next year.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY