[NAFEX] Ernest's Evans cherries

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Jun 20 18:43:49 EDT 2010

Ernest, grafted trees from commercial sources would probably be grafted
on Mazzard or Mahaleb. If I remember rightly you are in a particularly
cold area of northern Minnesota. I would expect your temperatures to
damage (in a warm winter unless with heavy snow cover) or kill either
Mazzard or Mahaleb. Mahaleb is fussy about good drainage, likes a coarse
subsoil. Any hardy rootstock readily available cheap to a comercial
nursery is likely to suffer from compatibility problems. The only
rootstock I can think of that *might* suit is Prunus X Dropmoreana,
Frank Skinner's creation. Forty years ago East Malling did some work
with it as a stock for sweet cherries, and from what I recall reading,
some clones of it were compatible with sweets and some were not.

If your sources were what I would consider fully competent and
honourable, they would have told you what rootstock they were using -
unless maybe they were afraid their competition would find out about it.
This kind of competitive pressure is one of the curses of the nursry
business. It's extremely hard to know if your supplier is understandably
secretive, or crooked or irresponsible.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada