[NAFEX] using black currants

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Jun 11 18:44:26 EDT 2010

Blackcurrant seed oil is somewhat similar to evening primrose oil,
perhaps not quite as good, but also contains the intermediate products
usually made in the human body from essential fatty acids but sometimes
lacking in the sick or elderly, and often found useful to enhance health.

I don't know to what extent the seeds are normally digested but they are
fairly soft. When the pulp is eaten as in jams, tarts, pies and
puddings, usually the seeds are also consumed.

Note that cottage puddings are a good way of eating cooked fruit; it is
not necessary to use pastry. (Soft) whole wheat flour can be used in the
biscuit/cake component with a little more egg and baking powder. Rice
puddings and variants on it with other grains can also be used with
fruit; also trifle.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada