[NAFEX] Mulberry trees

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 11:18:06 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Matt Demmon <mdemmon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the easiest thing would be to sow seeds. I imagine that being
> the only mulberry tree around, the seeds would come quite true to type.

Hélène mentioned that the tree has a lot of suckers with fruits on them. If the original tree was grafted, the berries may have the result of cross-pollination with the rootstock. This may be desirable if one wants to select even better tree than the original.

Hélène, if you are not sure whether the tree is grafted, you can try to graft it right on the suckers of the original tree. Mulberry is reportedly very easy to graft. I myself want to learn grafting this summer by grafting Illinois Everbearing mulberry on the seedlings I found in my backyard. There was a lot of discussions about mulberry grafting on this mailing list - browse the archives.

According to the book "Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden" by Lee Reich (who is also on this list), midsummer cuttings, treated with rooting hormone root very well. I strongly recommend the book.

Just in case you can try more than one approach.

Andriy
Eastern MA, zone 6