[NAFEX] Unusual June drop behavior

Bob Hartman hartmansfruit at msn.com
Wed Jun 9 20:16:42 EDT 2010

There are several factors that could affect the fruit dropping with the fact
that Stanley is partially self fruitful but will have heavier crops if there
is another European variety close by.  It could be that the weather
conditions were such that it didn't get any pollen from another source and
the fruit is dropping because of incomplete pollination.  Also frosts could
affect the fruit too.  I know nothing about the NY 1502 except what it says
in Richard Ashton's book Plums of North America.  It does mention that it is
very vigorous.

We had very few plums, European pears, and Asian pears because we had late
frost this year.  Every time I would go out to my favorite pear tree it
would have fewer pears on it.

Bob
Western Washington