[NAFEX] Green Rosette

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Jun 6 20:22:46 EDT 2010

> William Garthright asked, "where the growing tip at the end of a branch will turn into something that looks rather like a green flower, with the leaves all bunched together in a rosette. What is that?"
>

>     If the bunched leaves are tiny, it could possibly indicate a zinc deficiency in the soil.

Thanks. I did an image search for both aphid damage and zinc deficiency,
and I didn't see anything with either one that looks like what I'm
seeing. (But I do see that it's aphids causing the puffy leaves on my
currants, so that was a bonus.)

I'm only finding this on one or two twigs, not throughout a tree.
(Wouldn't zinc deficiency show up more than that?) And it's a very tight
circular arrangement of leaves. Really, it looks like a green flower.
It's kind of neat, but it completely stops the terminal from continuing
to grow.

This is nothing new. I've seen it in past years, too, but just rarely.
Whatever it is, it's not widespread enough to be a problem. I was just
curious.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." -