[NAFEX] Ants/aphids

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 4 14:00:16 EDT 2010

After Idell's original post suggesting tanglefoot my husband adpated the
idea and has been using duct tape (always handy!) wrapped around the tree
trunk.  While perhaps not as sticky as tanglefoot, it's easier to work with
and seems to be doing the job. We're taking care not to stick it directly to
the bark and to replace it every once in a while, both for the sake of the
growing tree and to remove the bodies of all the ants that, as was
previosuly mentioned, begin to form a sort of bridge for the others.

We're trying to be vigilant and check every day ( I think my husband is
becoming obsessed!) as it's an ongoing battle including  leaf removal/ jet
spraying. The good news is that I've seen the ladybugs feasting away so
hopefully, together, we can break the cycle and save my trees!

Good Luck to all fellow growers besieged by ants/aphids!

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC