[NAFEX] Green rosette?

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Jun 4 10:31:27 EDT 2010

This hasn't been a big problem, but I sometimes notice on my fruit trees
(apricots, plums, and pluots, for sure) where the growing tip at the end
of a branch will turn into something that looks rather like a green
flower, with the leaves all bunched together in a rosette. What is that?

I'm guessing that it's probably the result of an insect of some kind,
perhaps irritating the growing twig to make a safe home for itself? I
suppose it could be a disease, but it doesn't seem to spread. And it
doesn't look like pesticide damage.

Anyone know? I'm just curious.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Science is not about control. It is about cultivating a perpetual
condition of wonder in the face of something that forever grows one step