[NAFEX] Ants/aphids

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Jun 4 09:55:01 EDT 2010

>  Hi again-- forgot to mention  that  as season goes on, wind will blow
> dirt and leaves on the tanglefoot so it has to be scraped occasionally
> to keep the tangle foot fresh without a bridge for the ants--

That's the problem I had when I tried tanglefoot. It's frequently windy
here in Nebraska, and I use a lot of mulch. So the first windy day
completely covered the tanglefoot with debris.

I don't know how I could scrape it. That stuff is so messy anyway. I
thought it was a real pain to work with. But considering the debris
problem, it just wasn't worth the effort, not for me.

Also, my trees are all staked, often cabled to other trees, and the
branches are tied up or down - really, there are all sorts of pathways
for ants. Tanglefoot sounded great, and no doubt it will work for some
people, but... not for me.

PS. Make sure, if you do use tanglefoot, that you don't put it somewhere
you might brush against when working. It really is messy stuff!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Unfortunately, being open-minded is one of those annoying virtues we're
supposed to embrace these days. I can't count the number of times I've