[NAFEX] getting rid of carpenter bees

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Fri Jun 4 07:08:22 EDT 2010

A friend just posted the text below on an on-line forum.  I think this forum is more likely to be able to answer his question than that one.  Any advice?  I doubt he'll go for "leave them alone, they are good pollinators".

Thanks,
Ginda

Carpenter bees are attacking our wood deck. Anyone have experience getting rid of them?

My wife called a local pest control company. For $255, they'll come out and treat the holes that are currently being drilled. That's supposed to kill the specific bees drilling them, as the bees supposedly return to the same whole. It won't prevent other bees from drilling new holes elsewhere in the deck. They don't offer any service for that, except a $480 per year maintenance contract that would cover treating any attacks we find.

My wife looked on-line and wonders if we should do it ourself. She's doesn't know how dangerous the chemicals are. They can be purchased and applied by individuals, but all the descriptions say to wear protective clothing, not just old clothes. She also found instructions about spraying the wood to prevent future attacks, so it's odd that the professionals don't offer that if it works. Those chemicals also require protective clothing.

Anyone try this and live to tell about it? Did the carpenter bees live to tell their friends about it? Thanks