[NAFEX] is goumi (Eleagnus multiflora) always self fertile

Jono Neiger neiger at csld.edu
Wed Jun 2 13:20:55 EDT 2010

I have goumi growing in two locations, Cape Cod, MA (zone 6-maybe 7) and
western mass (zone 5-maybe 6). They are both growing very slow and have
gotten to 3 feet in 3 years. Im amazed to hear of plants getting to 12 feet
in two years. Are you sure they aren't E. umbellata? (Thats how fast my
autumn olives grow) Or maybe my goumi aren't inoculated with the right
rhizobia or something...

cheers

Jono
Leverett, Ma --zone 5, heading towards 6

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> With this early spring I already have a few red fruits in zone 6 (7?),
> Eastern MA.
> The original poster is in even warmer area, so he would definitely see the
> fruits by now.
>
> Andriy
>

> --- On *Tue, 6/1/10, John S <swim_at_svc at yahoo.com>* wrote:
>
> Fruit is very small at the beginning and may not be very noticeable at
> first.  My goumi's fruit is hard to see at the moment, but will size up fast
> (in zone 5)
>
> As your tree is probably from a seedling, some variability in fruiting
> ability might be the case.

******************
Jono Neiger
Regenerative Design Group
308 Main St, Suite 2C
Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
413-367-2304
www.regenerativedesigngroup.com

Conway School of Landscape Design
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu

PINE; Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.thepine.org