[NAFEX] Saving over-fertilized plants

Roy Johnson royj157 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:57:10 EST 2010

Plants are all over the map when it comes to 'salt tolerance' so there is no
one good answer.    Sandy soils are more difficult to manage for salts since
they do not buffer very well, and some plants can tolerate a lot of salts,
ie Sweet Corn or Potatoes.  Best to follow the recommended rates as promoted
by your local Land Grant College Extension, and adjust lower for sandy soils
and higher for heavy/organic soils.
Find out if you are growing a 'salt sensitive' crop and do not over
fertilize.
You could perhaps plant a temp cover crop to soak up the excessive salts for
a time, like buckwheat.