[NAFEX] mequite!

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Thu Jan 21 12:43:22 EST 2010

I don't know if some people in the East have ever had a chance to eat
mesquite pods fresh.  When camping in the desert in California, one can
find them dried, either still on the bush or on the ground underneath.
They keep there forever, as there is not enough moisture for them to
rot.  The coyotes do eat them eventually.  When dry, the pods are filled
with a powder that is sweet and tart. It's a tangy treat to chew on and
probably is filled with electrolytes to keep your fluids in balance in
the desert heat.  If you happen to be in the desert at just the right
time, you can find the pods still green on the bush.  Then they are
juicy, still with that sweet/tart flavor.

Of course the seeds inside ("beans") are way too hard to eat out of
hand.  I believe they were one of the staple foods for the native people
of those areas and are supposed to have a good glycemic index value.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews