[NAFEX] Stratification Info for Saskatoons

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Sat Jan 16 20:20:37 EST 2010

Hello Clan;

My second attempt at stratifying Saskatoon (Smoky) seeds has yielded some more info.

The first attempt, 2 months, was far too short. Every seed I planted failed to germinate.

The second attempt produced some sprouts. Tiny, ultra wimpy, easily broken off sprouts.

I put them in wet sand, 1/2" deep, into the fridge on July 15, 2009. I've checked on them every 2 weeks (approx) since then. Yesterday I saw the sprouts, so I planted all 18 of them. There was some odd gelatinous, viscous material holding a few grains of sand to each seed.

Instead of 6 months, next year I will plant them after 5 months, sprouts or not, because I think if you break the sprout off, it is all over for that seed. Isn't it?

Strat conditions were wet sand, in a plastic box, in the fridge at about 42F.

I'll keep hammering away until it's well behaved.

It is important to note, that my Crabapple seeds, stratifying on damp paper towels inside a flat, plastic bag, were much easier to assess (their progress) than the sand-buried Amel.

Murph