[NAFEX] Tall persimmons

Melissa Kacalanos mijwiz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 15:15:37 EST 2010

I probably just need someone to talk me out of this, but y'all got me thinking about persimmons again. Is it possible to grow them in zone 5a, upstate NY? I know the American species is hardy to this zone, but do the fruit have enough heat and time to mature here? How about this Rosseyanka hybrid?

I saw a kaki tree in Switzerland in December that looked ridiculous, it had so many gaudy orange fruit on it. It made me think that a persimmon might be worth planting just as an ornamental.

Melissa
Enjoying the smell of candying citrus peel on the stove, and looking out at the snow.