[NAFEX] crataegus anyone?

Hector Black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 3 20:16:59 EST 2010

Hello Michele,
     We've grown both C. azerolus and C pinnatifida for many years with no fireblight proglems.  Also the native Mayhaw from the Gulf Coast.  The only serious problem has been what we think is quince rust which can attack the fruits and sometimes the stems of the tree.  We usually get plenty of azerolus and Mayhaw despite the rust damage, but the damage can be serious on the Chinese haws.  The rust doesn't seem to attack stems on Mayhaw or Azerole, but it can cause serious damage to young stems on the pinnatifida.  Usually all growth dies beyond the damaged area, which is never major trunks but 1 year old wood.
     Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN