[NAFEX] Bill's pluot evaluations

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Sep 30 10:50:06 EDT 2009

> It was fun to read of the experiences of someone trying new varieties,
> but not necessarily very instructive.  Young trees with just a few
> fruit can be very misleading.

I'm sure that's right. If nothing else, weather must make a big
difference, and our weather was far from typical this year (although
it's usually pretty variable).

> It is not at all unusual for me to jump to conclusions about the
> superior quality of the fruit from a young sparsely bearing tree.
> It's hard not to scream from the rooftop about a new variety you're
> excited about, but a reliable evaluation takes about 10 years, IMO.

I hope that works the other way, too! Or will I be more likely to be
disappointed in the taste of Flavor Supreme pluots in the future than
pleasantly surprised by the other two varieties?

:-)

To be honest, I think that part of my enjoyment of Flavor Supreme was
because of their ripening date, which came before I was swamped with
other fruit. By the time I got fruit from the other two varieties, I'd
been eating so much fruit (nectarines, peaches, plums, etc.) that likely
nothing would have wowed me. To some extent, that might be why my Flavor
Grenade pluots were popular when I gave them away, but not so much with me.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Women are the most powerful magnet in the universe. All men are cheap
metal. And we know where North is. - Larry Miller