[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 80, Issue 33

Webmail wynne wynne at crcwnet.com
Wed Sep 30 10:40:16 EDT 2009


I like to buy my tomato seeds from the folks at tomatofest.com  they
annually produce the carmel california tomato festival that has become quite
popular
i have stopped growing pear tomatoes cause they always are inferior in
texture and
flavor to the other heirlooms   i can get the same density with more flavor
with
other types
wynne @jerzyboyz farm in nc washington state, finally feeling fall- had
90degree temps last week

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM, <nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Send nafex mailing list submissions to
>        nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        nafex-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of nafex digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Grape juice (Kieran &/or Donna)
>   2. Re: Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
>      (Kieran &/or Donna)
>   3. Re: Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
>      (ROBERT W   JUDY A HARTMAN)
>   4. plant breeding forum (emellott at telus.net)
>   5. Re: plant breeding forum (Doreen Howard)
>   6. Re: plant breeding forum (Lon J. Rombough)
>   7. Re: plant breeding forum (ROBERT W   JUDY A HARTMAN)
>   8. Re: Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
>      (Lori Rizzo)
>   9. Apple bags vs. nylons (Jim Fruth)
>  10. Re: More on Ribes (Kieran &/or Donna)
>  11. Re: More on Ribes (Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu)
>  12. The passing of Ken Dooley (Jwlehman at aol.com)
>  13. Re: More on Ribes (Douglas Woodard)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:49:01 -0500
> From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape juice
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <0E1F525AA56E41CE80436458C4D056D0 at YOUR20FE224C19>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I remember that someone who had way too many grapes said the easiest way to
> do it was to fill a jar with grapes, add water and maybe sugar, put on the
> lid and process.  I'll bet a blender and a strainer would do a better job.
>  Donna
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/f12902c7/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:00:59 -0500
> From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow
>        Pear
> To: <fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com>,      "North American Fruit Explorers"
>        <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <F85C0E721E654402AD669C3AEDA9F33B at YOUR20FE224C19>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>        reply-type=original
>
> There are small yellow pear tomatoes hat are literally pear shaped, and
> larger ones like pastes that are sometimes called by the same name, so we
> need to know what they looked like.   I haven't grown any yellow pears, but
> I find that the bicolor tomatoes, yellow on top with red streaks underneath
> and inside, are low acid, high sugar with good texture.
>    And if you have been through a cool wet summer, no tomato will come up
> to it's usual flavor potential.  I've ordered tomato seeds in SSE that were
> supposed to be terrific, and they taste like nothing grown here.  I'd
> suspect the people who offered them had taste bud trouble, but I grew a
> variety from NE TN that someone said was his main crop variety, and it did
> nothing but split here.  Soils do affect things.  It was a large pear
> shape,
> so I have avoided that shape since.  Good luck!  If you look in SSE, there
> will be a while lot of vars under that name, but you may see that one is so
> good that they have been passing it around to everyone else.  There is a
> lot
> of info to be studied in a SSE Yearbook.  I like to read all the weather
> reports from members across the country.  Donna
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:20:07 -0700
> From: "ROBERT W   JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow
>        Pear
> To: <fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com>,      "North American Fruit Explorers"
>        <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <SNT105-DS171470B04D48365D437D19A7D90 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Have you looked at the varieties at Totally Tomatoes,
> http://www.totallytomato.com/<http://www.totallytomato.com/>?  If you
> haven't I would suggest that you get the paper catalog.  It would be a lot
> easier to find the tomatoes that you are looking for.  They have many, many
> kinds of tomatoes.
>
> Bob
>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: fuwa fuwa usagi<mailto:fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com>
>  To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>  Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:58 PM
>  Subject: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
>
>
>  Gang:
>
>  The fluffy one is sad, older now, and sadly potentially facing changing
> taste buds I no longer can grow a yellow pear tomato that matches my
> memories from decades ago.
>
>  I usually grow a potpourri of tomatoes, and I fondly remember the yellow
> pear of my youth ,a pleasant mild tasting, low acid tomato that was
> wonderful when mixed with sharper tomatoes like a Super Beefsteak or Better
> Boy.  Now a committed full flavor tomato heirloom snob (yeah I still grow
> Hybrids like Super Beefsteak, Sweet100 and Better Boy too, just in case) I
> really miss the remembered taste of the Yellow Pear from days gone your in
> salads and salsas for a contrast.
>
>  I have tried several commercial sources and none are producing the
> tomatoes of my memory.  What I am getting are ungoshly bland, mushy textured
> tomatoes that frankly are not worth the space they occupy other than for eye
> appeal.
>
>  What I suspect is there are many strains of yellow pear and I simply have
> not lucked out enough to get the right one.  I do know if I encounter it
> again I will save the darn seeds.
>
>  Anyways, I thought I would put in a request to the good folks at NAFEX
> that if anyone has a good strain of yellow pear they save seed from if you
> could spare a few, say 5-10 seeds, so I can get something going next year
> that is worth a dran
>
>  Obviously we can swap something, all I want is a few starter seeds of a
> know good parent.
>
>  I thank you for any consideration your give this matter,
>
>  the fluffy one
>
>
>
>  _____________________________________________________________
>  The Free Email with so much more!
>  =====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <http://www.muchomail.com/><
> http://www.muchomail.com/> <=====
>  _______________________________________________
>  nafex mailing list
>  nafex at lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
>  Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
>  This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
>  Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
>  **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
>  Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
>  No exceptions.
>  ----
>  To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
>  http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex<
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex>
>
>  File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
>  TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
>  Please do not send binary files.
>  Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
>  NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/<http://www.nafex.org/>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/5b5c61be/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:45:03 -0600 (MDT)
> From: emellott at telus.net
> Subject: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID:
>        <28929437.1896777.1253911503686.JavaMail.nitido at priv-edmwes92>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/6ba98e85/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:50:25 -0500
> From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <26AF9971FC244B5F8ECDEBB5D46A0E29 at Doreen>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> I had the same problem, too.  Just received a message that my email was
> undeliverable after trying 1 day and 1 hour.
> Doreen Howard
>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: emellott at telus.net
>  To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>  Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 3:45 PM
>  Subject: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
>
>
>  I tried to subscribe to the plant breeding forum-error comes back about no
> commands
>  Pasted In the message area, type: SUBSCRIBE PBForum-L
>  Had nothing in subject.  Has  anyone else  has problems or what am I doing
> wrong
>  Evelyn
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/debb7522/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:04:59 -0700
> From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom at hevanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <47db1e9c307abef199c90abea79ef8f7 at hevanet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Checked on it - server problem.  The person in charge said there was an
> error in setting up the list and the technician who can fix it won't be
> back until Monday.  So hold tight.
> -Lon Rombough
> NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a
> short, low resolution clip here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner of the Garden Writers Association
> "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
> A video about The Grape Grower :
> http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
> On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM, emellott at telus.net wrote:
>
> I tried to subscribe to the plant breeding forum-error comes back?about
> no commands
> Pasted In the message area, type: SUBSCRIBE PBForum-L
> Had nothing in subject.? Has ?anyone else? has problems or what am I
> doing wrong
> Evelyn_______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: text/enriched
> Size: 1869 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/9064eff5/attachment-0001.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:07:16 -0700
> From: "ROBERT W   JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit at msn.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <SNT105-DS18FC79DACB6FF460C285B1A7D90 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I did it at 12:08 p.m. yesterday and it appeared to work fine.
>
> Bob
>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: Lon J. Rombough<mailto:lonrom at hevanet.com>
>  To: North American Fruit Explorers<mailto:nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>  Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:04 PM
>  Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plant breeding forum
>
>
>  Checked on it - server problem. The person in charge said there was an
> error in setting up the list and the technician who can fix it won't be back
> until Monday. So hold tight.
>  -Lon Rombough
>  NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html<
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html> View a short, low resolution clip
> here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
>  Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best
> Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
>  A video about The Grape Grower :
> http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
>  On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM, emellott at telus.net wrote:
>
>  I tried to subscribe to the plant breeding forum-error comes back about no
> commands
>  Pasted In the message area, type: SUBSCRIBE PBForum-L
>  Had nothing in subject.  Has  anyone else  has problems or what am I doing
> wrong
>  Evelyn_______________________________________________
>  nafex mailing list
>  nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>  Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
>  This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
>  Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
>  **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
>  Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
>  No exceptions.
>  ----
>  To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
>  http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
>  File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
>  TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
>  Please do not send binary files.
>  Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
>  NAFEX web site:
> http://www.nafex.org/_______________________________________________
>  nafex mailing list
>  nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>  Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
>  This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
>  Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
>  **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
>  Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
>  No exceptions.
>  ----
>  To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
>  http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
>  File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
>  TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
>  Please do not send binary files.
>  Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
>  NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090925/2f4560cf/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:44:53 -0400
> From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow
>        Pear
> To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <00c401ca3e5b$b591ae90$0a00a8c0 at D993WN91>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> I have Beam's Yellow Pear seeds I can send you - they are a small,
> beautiful
> yellow pear.  Their taste is o.k., but not exceptional - but if you couple
> them with some nice sweet red cherry tomatoes, they make a great salad.
>
> Send me your info.
>
> Lori
>
> Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA
> Health Care Quality Improvement
> Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!
> Maryville, TN
> larizzo at charter.net
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Kieran &/or Donna
> Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 2:01 PM
> To: fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com; North American Fruit Explorers
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear
>
> There are small yellow pear tomatoes hat are literally pear shaped, and
> larger ones like pastes that are sometimes called by the same name, so we
> need to know what they looked like.   I haven't grown any yellow pears, but
> I find that the bicolor tomatoes, yellow on top with red streaks underneath
> and inside, are low acid, high sugar with good texture.
>    And if you have been through a cool wet summer, no tomato will come up
> to it's usual flavor potential.  I've ordered tomato seeds in SSE that were
> supposed to be terrific, and they taste like nothing grown here.  I'd
> suspect the people who offered them had taste bud trouble, but I grew a
> variety from NE TN that someone said was his main crop variety, and it did
> nothing but split here.  Soils do affect things.  It was a large pear
> shape,
>
> so I have avoided that shape since.  Good luck!  If you look in SSE, there
> will be a while lot of vars under that name, but you may see that one is so
> good that they have been passing it around to everyone else.  There is a
> lot
>
> of info to be studied in a SSE Yearbook.  I like to read all the weather
> reports from members across the country.  Donna
>
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used
> to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:26:17 -0500
> From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth at charter.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Apple bags vs. nylons
> To: "NAFEX" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <AC55E0FF97CA49ED85226C795527F9C8 at ibma20plaptop>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>        reply-type=original
>
>    This year I tested "Apple Maggot Control Bags (nylon)" that I bought
> from Raintree versus Zip-Lock Bags with unbagged apples for a control.  It
> will definitely be my last purchase of the nylon bags!
>    Both bag types were effective against Apple Maggot but fungi was a big
> problem with the nylon bags.  Blotch and Fly Speck are problems here that
> affect the outer surface of apples.  Both wash off with a bit of 'elbow
> grease' and a Scotch Brite pad but having to clean every apple is a
> nuisance
> and not cost effective.
>    Surprisingly, there was much more Blotch and Fly Speck on the nylon
> bagged apples than on the unbagged apples.  Predictably, only a few apples
> with Zip Lock Bags had any and those that did had a small amount at the
> stem
> end.  An exception was that the earliest summer apples (Beacon and Yellow
> Transparent) were not affected with the fungi.
>    In conclusion, it is nice that, unlike plastic bags that break down
> after being exposed to prolonged sunlight, the nylons can be reused again.
> I'll be using the nylons on my earliest summer apples and all others will
> be
> bagged with Zip Lock bags.
>
> Jim Fruth
> Brambleberry Farm
> Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
> For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
> www.jellygal.com
> 1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
> 1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:42:52 -0500
> From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow at frontiernet.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More on Ribes
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <9ED5CEFAD0C14919BD52CF400279A5F8 at YOUR20FE224C19>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I have found several PDF files that I don't seem to be able to get a web
> address for.  If you use this one, you go to Ohio State and you can do a
> search for gooseberries.  There are several articles available there, the
> one you want is Fruit ICM News.  It's Ed Mashburn talking about Ribes
> apparently grown and observed at his Northumberland Berry Works in PA.
>  First off I notice that he's been testing a lot of the same vars that KY
> did. I think Ed started it.  I note that both Ed and KY are aiming at
> commercial production.  I don't know why Glenndale was not tested, it may
> have a small berry or poor color?  Anyway, what I liked about Ed's speech is
> that one of the two versions of it is updated in italics, with comments
> about poor flavor and disease problems that was not covered in the original.
>  the original paper came out 2002, the other a few months later in 03.  I
> like at least knowing why certain varieties are being tested and by whom.
>  We are all a little like sheep, it's
>  best to follow where others have succeeded, but at least now I know who
> the sheep are that I am following.  I'd like a better look at where the
> others had trouble, so I don't try  going that way.  But I also want to know
> what they have NOT tried.  The lack of any mention of Glenndale is
> interesting.  I wonder if Ed tried it, and others, that were found too
> sickly to be of interest.  Does anyone know how to get hold of his
> literature, besides this paper on the successes?     Donna
>
> southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf.../vol-7-no-3-jan-30-03.pdf
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090926/29183902/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:02:02 -0500
> From: "Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More on Ribes
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID:
>        <5548683741a7415e968bb66c791e409c.Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> I've got some emails that Ed sent me, archived on the
> computer at work; I'll forward 'em to you if there's
> anything good in there.  He's the one who originally
> suggested Glenndale to me - and it may have been one
> of the varieties he sent several years back when I
> traded him some acorns & seednuts for some gooseberry
> & currant cuttings.
> I've not heard from Ed in at least 2 or 3 years, and
> his Northumberland Berryworks website doesn't look
> like it's got much more than a homepage, put up in 2006.
>
> I don't remember if Richard Moyer has weighed in on
> this discussion or not - he was up in the
> Bristol/Kingsport area for years, and did a
> sabbatical out at Corvallis, I think, and has grown
> several gooseberry varieties.
>
> LLP
>
>
>
> ------- Original Message -------
> >From    : Kieran &/or
> Donna[mailto:holycow at frontiernet.net]
> Sent    : 9/26/2009 9:42:52 AM
> To      : nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Cc      :
> Subject : RE: Re: [NAFEX] More on Ribes
>
>
>
> I have found several PDF files that I don't
> seem to be able to get a web address for.  If you use
> this one, you go to
> Ohio State and you can do a search for gooseberries.
>  There are several
> articles available there, the one you want is Fruit
> ICM News.  It's Ed
> Mashburn talking about Ribes apparently grown and
> observed at his Northumberland
> Berry Works in PA.  First off I notice that he's been
> testing a lot of the
> same vars that KY did. I think Ed started it.  I note
> that both Ed and KY
> are aiming at commercial production.  I don't know
> why Glenndale was not
> tested, it may have a small berry or poor color?
> Anyway, what I liked
> about Ed's speech is that one of the two versions of
> it is updated in italics,
> with comments about poor flavor and disease problems
> that was not covered in the
> original.  the original paper came out 2002, the
> other a few months later
> in 03.  I like at least knowing why certain varieties
> are being tested and
> by whom.  We are all a little like sheep, it's best
> to follow where others
> have succeeded, but at least now I know who the sheep
> are that I am
> following.  I'd like a better look at where the
> others had trouble, so I
> don't try  going that way.  But I also want to know
> what they have NOT
> tried.  The lack of any mention of Glenndale is
> interesting.  I wonder
> if Ed tried it, and others, that were found too
> sickly to be of interest.
> Does anyone know how to get hold of his literature,
> besides this paper on the
> successes?     Donna
>
> southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf.../vol-7-no-3-jan-30-03.pdf
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:20:13 EDT
> From: Jwlehman at aol.com
> Subject: [NAFEX] The passing of Ken Dooley
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <bf6.3e8b200f.37ef993d at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Dear NAFEX net members.
>
> It is with great sadness I report the passing of Ken Dooley. Ken just
> turned 96 this past Monday. His son reported he passed peacefully having
> suffered
> kidney failure and was in a hospital just a few days. ?Ken was an active
> fruit grower as well as walnut hybridizer and mentor to nut and fruit
> growers
> everywhere.
>
> At the 100th annual meeting of the Northern Nut Growers meeting this past
> summer at Purdue, Ken was awarded a Life Time Achievement Award by the
> Indiana Nut Growers (INGA). Ken was a founding father and charter member of
> INGA.
> ?We are greatly indebted to Ken Dooley.
>
> Funeral plans are presently being made. Next Saturday is being considered
> for the funeral to give those from a distance more travel time off work.
>
> The funeral home is Raven Choat at Marion, IN. The obituary will be
> available at:???? http://ravenchoate.com/obituaries.aspx. Arrangements
> will also be
> available at their web site.
>
> Jerry Lehman, Pres. INGA
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090926/374a37df/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 13
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:32:10 -0400
> From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard at becon.org>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More on Ribes
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <4ABE420A.5020005 at becon.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> See
> <
> http://southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf-documents/2003-icm-fruit-news/vol-7-no-3-jan-30-03.pdf
> >
>
>
> Doug Woodard
> St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
>
> **************************************
>
> Kieran &/or Donna wrote:
> I have found several PDF files that I don't seem to be able to get a
> web address for.  If you use this one, you go to Ohio State and you
> can do a search for gooseberries.  There are several articles
> available there, the one you want is Fruit ICM News.  It's Ed Mashburn
> talking about Ribes apparently grown and observed at his
> Northumberland Berry Works in PA.  First off I notice that he's been
> testing a lot of the same vars that KY did. I think Ed started it.  I
> note that both Ed and KY are aiming at commercial production.  I don't
> know why Glenndale was not tested, it may have a small berry or poor
> color?  Anyway, what I liked about Ed's speech is that one of the two
> versions of it is updated in italics, with comments about poor flavor
> and disease problems that was not covered in the original.  the
> original paper came out 2002, the other a few months later in 03.  I
> like at least knowing why certain varieties are being tested and by
> whom.  We are all a little like sheep, it's best to follow where
> others have succeeded, but at least now I know who the sheep are that
> I am following.  I'd like a better look at where the others had
> trouble, so I don't try  going that way.  But I also want to know what
> they have NOT tried.  The lack of any mention of Glenndale is
> interesting.  I wonder if Ed tried it, and others, that were found too
> sickly to be of interest.  Does anyone know how to get hold of his
> literature, besides this paper on the successes?     Donna
>
> southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf.../vol-7-no-3-jan-30-03.pdf
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
>
> End of nafex Digest, Vol 80, Issue 33
> *************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20090930/f609e19c/attachment.html 


More information about the nafex mailing list