[NAFEX] Bill's pluot evaluations

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:16:13 EDT 2009

It was fun to read of the experiences of someone trying new varieties, but
not necessarily very instructive.  Young trees with just a few fruit can be
very misleading.  After 5 or 6 years, when the trees are really plugged in
to production you start to get a better idea of the value of the variety.
It is not at all unusual for me to jump to conclusions about the superior
quality of the fruit from a young sparsely bearing tree.  It's hard not to
scream from the rooftop about a new variety you're excited about, but a
reliable evaluation takes about 10 years, IMO.  Not that I'm asking anyone
to wait that long- I enjoy that rooftop screaming.