[NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Tue Sep 29 16:58:34 EDT 2009

> Here is a brief report on my plum tastings for this year.

Interesting, Scott.

This was my first year for fruit on several of my plum trees, and I was
very disappointed in how small my Toka plums turned out to be. But then
I tasted them, and they were easily the best tasting plum I had
(compared to the much bigger Alderman, Superior, and Waneta).

> Superior got too much rain when ripening so it was not a fair year for them.

My Superior plums were better last year, too. But I'm just amazed at how
many large plums I get off my tiny little tree. It produced a ton of
plums last year, too, just a year after I planted it. My other plums are
a year older, but they didn't produce until this year.

It was very dry here early in the year, and then amazingly cool in July
and August - altogether a weird year.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
Ideas of the Stone Age exist side by side with the latest scientific