[NAFEX] European Pear Flavor and Rootstocks

ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN hartmansfruit at msn.com
Tue Sep 29 13:37:59 EDT 2009

I have had some varieties of pears which ripened on OHXF333 and in another season ripened on a quince rootstock and the pears ripened on the quince rootstock had far better flavor.  Has it just been a fluke or possibly the season that caused that occurrence?  I never had them on the different rootstocks on the same year.  It has always be on different years so I don't know.  For me this has happened with Harrow Delight, Highland, Gorham, and Sierra.  Has anyone else had similar results?

Thanks,
Bob
Western Washington