[NAFEX] skin thickness in pears

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Sep 29 04:04:37 EDT 2009

I believe I recall reading that Bierschmidt has a thin skin. Perhaps
someone who grows it could comment.

Ripeness of the pear may have somethng to do with your perception of a
thin skin.

For most pears, ripening off the tree is the key to quality. You need a
closed container (presumably to retain the ethylene) for a few days.
According to an RHS article I read some years ago, the temperature
should be between 50 and 70 degrees F., the lower the better if not
lower than 50 (but slower ripening) except that some pears need a
slightly higher temperature than 50 degrees to avoid breakdown. The
container should give a stable temperature. A crock is excellent. Years
ago I gave a friend in Ottawa some Anjous from cold storage (Prince
Edward County) about January and recommended that she ripen them in a
crock in her basement. She did so and was ecstatic about the quality.
I've read that Anjous need a couple of months cold storage to ripen
properly.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada