[NAFEX] skin thickness in pears

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 21:46:18 EDT 2009

The bartlett pears from the neglected tree at our old place were sublime.
(I've never had a transcendent experience like that with any apple).  As
much as I don't want to love such a common variety and am sure there are
pear varieties that are better than bartlett, I'm afraid to plant
something I don't like as much.

One thing I noticed was that the skins were so thin that I could eat the
meltingly ripe flesh without having to peel it.  In general I'm well on
the fussy side about thicker skins and peel a lot.  Skin thickness isn't
mentioned much in catalogs... are there other thin-skinned pears, or are
most non-russetted pear skins thin?

Lisa in Oregon