[NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:39:00 EDT 2009

Thanks for the report, Bill.  I was thinking of getting a Flavor
Grenade since I had heard about how the fruit set was much better than
the others, but I think I will hold off for the time being.  I already
have many great plums so the bar is pretty high for me.  I concur with
your Flavor Supreme experience, it is one of my favorites for taste
(and one of the most frustrating for fruit set).

Here is a brief report on my plum tastings for this year.  Great:
Santa Rosa, Satsuma, Flavor Supreme.  Very good: Red Heart.  Good:
Shiro, Superior, Wickson. Decent: Spring Satin.  OK: La Crescent.  The
Spring Satin is worthwhile due to its earliness, any plum in spring is
wonderful.  Wickson only had a few fruits and none ripened properly so
I expect that one should rate higher in future years.  Superior got
too much rain when ripening so it was not a fair year for them.
Satsuma needs to hang a long time; the temptation is to pick them when
they look nice and red but they may be several weeks from fully ripe
then.

Scott
z7 MD