[NAFEX] More on Ribes

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Sat Sep 26 10:42:52 EDT 2009

I have found several PDF files that I don't seem to be able to get a web address for.  If you use this one, you go to Ohio State and you can do a search for gooseberries.  There are several articles available there, the one you want is Fruit ICM News.  It's Ed Mashburn talking about Ribes apparently grown and observed at his Northumberland Berry Works in PA.  First off I notice that he's been testing a lot of the same vars that KY did. I think Ed started it.  I note that both Ed and KY are aiming at commercial production.  I don't know why Glenndale was not tested, it may have a small berry or poor color?  Anyway, what I liked about Ed's speech is that one of the two versions of it is updated in italics, with comments about poor flavor and disease problems that was not covered in the original.  the original paper came out 2002, the other a few months later in 03.  I like at least knowing why certain varieties are being tested and by whom.  We are all a little like sheep, it's best to follow where others have succeeded, but at least now I know who the sheep are that I am following.  I'd like a better look at where the others had trouble, so I don't try  going that way.  But I also want to know what they have NOT tried.  The lack of any mention of Glenndale is interesting.  I wonder if Ed tried it, and others, that were found too sickly to be of interest.  Does anyone know how to get hold of his literature, besides this paper on the successes?     Donna

southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf.../vol-7-no-3-jan-30-03.pdf