[NAFEX] Well a tomato is a fruit...in search of Yellow Pear

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Sep 25 14:00:59 EDT 2009

There are small yellow pear tomatoes hat are literally pear shaped, and
larger ones like pastes that are sometimes called by the same name, so we
need to know what they looked like.   I haven't grown any yellow pears, but
I find that the bicolor tomatoes, yellow on top with red streaks underneath
and inside, are low acid, high sugar with good texture.
    And if you have been through a cool wet summer, no tomato will come up
to it's usual flavor potential.  I've ordered tomato seeds in SSE that were
supposed to be terrific, and they taste like nothing grown here.  I'd
suspect the people who offered them had taste bud trouble, but I grew a
variety from NE TN that someone said was his main crop variety, and it did
nothing but split here.  Soils do affect things.  It was a large pear shape,
so I have avoided that shape since.  Good luck!  If you look in SSE, there
will be a while lot of vars under that name, but you may see that one is so
good that they have been passing it around to everyone else.  There is a lot
of info to be studied in a SSE Yearbook.  I like to read all the weather
reports from members across the country.  Donna