[NAFEX] Canning grape juice?

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Sep 24 18:55:05 EDT 2009

I agree with Lon that fresh is better.  To save freezer space, you can make
uncooked concentrate. Fill a plastic bottle with grape juice, leaving enough
headroom.  Freeze.  Invert the bottle into a jar and let it melt.  The ice
with the greatest concentration of stuff-other-than-water will melt first;
this is grape concentrate, and will leave water ice behind.  A quart of
juice will yield a cup of concentrate.  Freeze and use just like the canned
stuff.

Second best, make fresh grape juice, heat to simmer, sweeten to taste, can
and boiling-water-bath can for 30 minutes.

Third best:

Weigh the grapes and put in a pan.  Add 1 cup of boiling water per 7 lbs. of
grapes (enough to cover). Simmer about 10 minutes without boiling.  Strain
through a juice bag.  Refrigerate for a day or two and strain again, to
remove sediment.  Return the juice to a simmer and sweeten to taste.
Process in a boiling-water bath for half an hour.

The ranking of best-to-less-best is based on my own experience, but seems to
be a consensus.

~ Stephen