[NAFEX] my definition of heirloom apples

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:33:55 EDT 2009

What exactly is an heirloom is based on usage.  In the case of apples it
certainly has nothing to do with passing down seeds as I'm sure Lon
realizes.  Generally heirloom apples are historic apples- meaning once
popular but not popular any more.  This is the way the word is used in the
nursery trade as I see it.

Some apple heirlooms never went completely out of commercial production,
such as Northern Spy, Golden Russett and Newtown Pippin, but their
production has shrunk to such a limited level that most people have never
tasted them.  I'd say any apple discovered after the beginning of the 20th
century is still too young to be considered an heirloom.  As was stated, it
is a non-specific category.