[NAFEX] bitter pit question

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 23 13:19:24 EDT 2009

I have a young 'Sundance' apple tree the produced its first crop this year.  The fruit, as it matures, develops sunken purplish regions that are very bitter to taste and have dead brown cells underneath.

However, it's not classic bitter pit in one sense... the lesions are mostly on the stem end of the fruit, not the calyx end.  How common is that distribution?  Is there something else it could be?

Some background on this tree that may be informative... It was the one apple tree that I did not thin adequately, thus the crop was too big for the tree.  Also, it received calcium acetate sprays approximately every other week from petal fall to midsummer (which I would think would reduce bitter pit).  No other trees in the orchard have this disorder and all other apples got the calcium sprays.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Anton