[NAFEX] Heirloom fruit

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Sep 23 10:46:07 EDT 2009

The way I learned it is that an heirloom fruit is one that is
propagated by seed, passed along from one person to another.  For
example, the Door County apricots which have been passed along as seed.
  They come sufficiently true from seed that seedlings of the variety
are recognizeable as the parent variety.  Indian Blood peach is another
such type often grown from seed.
By comparison, "antique" fruits are asexually propagated (reproduced by
cuttings or grafting) varieties which are at least 100 years old.
"Delicious" apple qualifies as an antique by that, as does Concord
grape, since they are over 100 years old.
-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :