[NAFEX] syrups.

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sat Sep 19 01:54:59 EDT 2009

Try your yellow label on biscuits, cornbread, or fritters (esp. corn).   You
can try it in a pecan pie following the recipe at the Golden Eagle site.
Most of the recipes there are ones I like fine with straight cane syrup.
I've never tried them with Golden Eagle/Yellow Label.  I think I'd want some
molasses for I little bite.

Though for a couple years I've used Whey Low sugar in about everything I'd
normally use sugar or any syrup in - helps keep the glycemic index and blood
sugar in check.  I make a syrup with that and blend it 50/50 with real
maple.  Must have real maple.

Almost must have cane syrup, and I'd forgotten about corn/cane/honey blend
syrups until the beginning of this thread.  I have a thought to grow some
ribbon cane and see if I can make a syrup.  Yes, a foolish endeavor,
homemade cane syrup - but the plants are pretty, and I've done such efforts
before.  For some reason I'm curious about small-scale food from scratch,
whether it's baking with flour from gathered oats, making apple juice
concentrate (think, juice, think!), cheeses, growing sesame, broom corn.
Made more sense when I had a bit of land to play with.  On this suburban
lot, though, I want to again do such things.  It's fun for me, and lets my
6-year-old see where many foods come from and how they get from seed to
dinner table.  My 23-year-old had the same lessons, and it's a pleasant
revisitation.  I also like knowing the such knowledge rests in my older
girl's brain, and maybe bits of this connection to land and reality spill
over to the grandchildren.

~ Stephen