[NAFEX] soil for grape transplanting

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Sep 18 12:39:42 EDT 2009

> I followed a thread earlier this summer about adding sand to the soil
> which I'd like to try. Anyone have a good formula for amounts of sand,
> organics, soil and supplements? I know grapes root deeply so how deep
> should I work it?

I'm just a newbie at this, so don't go by what I say, but it's hard for
me to imagine that grapes need soil supplements, unless things are
REALLY bad there. The biggest problem I have is keeping my grapevines
from taking over the yard. I mean, they grow like crazy!

Again, just going by the few varieties I'm growing in my backyard, I
wouldn't want to encourage them to grow any faster than they already do.
I prune them back severely every year, but in one summer, they just want
to take over. I hate to think what it's going to be like when the vines
get older! (But the grapes are wonderful.)

Even the grapes I planted last year, I pretty well just stuck them in
the ground and then had to leap back out of the way. Now, maybe that's
just this particular location, I don't know. Things might be different
elsewhere. I've got clay underneath, but a lot of good black soil, too.

Good luck,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up. - W. Somerset
Maugham