[NAFEX] King of fruits?

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Sep 18 12:28:25 EDT 2009

> Sometimes we are unduly fussy and conservative about new things.

True. It's hard to tell, because taste (and smell) are very subjective.
If you think something is going to taste good, it's more likely to
actually taste good. And if you expect it to be bad-tasting, it probably
will be. Blind-tasting tests often show that people can't tell the
difference between different types of beer, or whatever, without seeing
them, even though they expressed distinct preferences for particular
brands. It's kind of funny.

Not to say that there aren't real taste preferences, of course. Who
knows why we like certain things? But as fruit explorers, we're probably
more ready than most to try new things. And that eagerness to experiment
probably means that we're more likely to enjoy different tastes. I know
people - seriously, I do, and more than one - who won't try ANY Chinese
food, because they're just certain that they'll hate it. They've never
tried it, but they're still certain. Those kinds of people aren't likely
to enjoy anything new.

And I suppose there's the matter of just getting used to it, too. I
really disliked my clove currents the first year they produced fruit. I
was hugely disappointed. But this year, they didn't seem so bad. Heh,
heh. Who knows? I may be raving about them soon enough.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Belief in dowsing has persisted, partly because most people secretly
want to believe in magic, partly because water is fairly easy to find in