[NAFEX] King of fruits?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Thu Sep 17 09:45:48 EDT 2009

According to Chinese people I've talked to, cheese is often disgusting to Chinese, and chocolate is considered unappealing to many older Chinese women.

-- GindamIEKAL aND wrote:

The best thing about durian, in my humble opinion, is how quickly it spells out the cultural differences between the American taste buds & Asian cultures.  I've had a number of Asian friends over the years who do think durian is the king of fruits.  It would be interesting to discover what flavors from North America make them retch.
~mIEKAL

On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:I saw fresh durian for sale in Boston's Chinatown on Monday.  I didn't have the courage to buy it, though.  I have a very strong sense of smell, and while I often enjoy sour, bitter, or astringent foods I don't generally like ill-scented ones.

-- GindaHector Black wrote:

        We saw a durian at an asian market in either Seattle or Vancouver.  I'd heard it described as the "Queen of tropical fruits" and bought one, packaged nicely in a net bag.  We took it up to our hotel room, everyone gathered around with great expectation as my son-in-law took a knife to open it.  There were these balls of custardy creamy white stuff inside the firmer flesh.  But the odor permeated the whole room in no time.  Smelled like sh*t,  The only one who could get it past the nose was my son-in-law who can't smell at all.  We didn't know what to do with it -  had to get it out of the room as the odor was sickening.  Wrapped it in plastic and paper several times and dropped it off .  Now I understand why some hotels in the orient have signs reading "No durians allowed".  hector black  middle tn   ----- Original Message -----

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/