[NAFEX] King of fruits?

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Thu Sep 17 08:52:30 EDT 2009

I saw fresh durian for sale in Boston's Chinatown on Monday.  I didn't have the courage to buy it, though.  I have a very strong sense of smell, and while I often enjoy sour, bitter, or astringent foods I don't generally like ill-scented ones.

-- GindaHector Black wrote:

We saw a durian at an asian market in either
Seattle or Vancouver.  I'd heard it described as the "Queen of tropical
fruits" and bought one, packaged nicely in a net bag.  We took it up to our
hotel room, everyone gathered around with great expectation as my son-in-law
took a knife to open it.  There were these balls of custardy creamy white
stuff inside the firmer flesh.  But the odor permeated the whole room in no
time.  Smelled like sh*t,  The only one who could get it past the nose
was my son-in-law who can't smell at all.  We didn't know what to do with
it -  had to get it out of the room as the odor was sickening.
Wrapped it in plastic and paper several times and dropped it off .  Now I
understand why some hotels in the orient have signs reading "No durians
allowed".  hector black  middle tn