[NAFEX] quince fire blight (was medlar death)

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Sep 15 22:19:18 EDT 2009

Anton, I have a Pineapple and a Smyrna.  I used to have an Aromatnaya
but it died of fireblight several years ago.  This year I only got a
couple fruits because the fireblight infected nearly all the fruits at
the 1-2" size and they mummified.  On the original topic of Medlars I
also lost a Breda Giant to fireblight; my remaining Royal medlar has
blight problems as well.

For some reason I never get fireblight on my pears, the crop you hear
most about FB on; I have around 50 varieties many of which are
considered highly susceptible.  The apples get it badly, but not as
bad as quince and medlar which are the worst by far.

Scott